Art By: 伊吹五月
This character list is created to help you better understand the novel and not get characters confused. YingZhao, the author of this novel, also cleverly uses names of the characters to their personality. We think it would be wonderful if you can understand what their names actually mean, since all the name translations are pronunciation. For each character, we included a short summary, the meaning of the name and what others call him or her. ALL CHARACTERS ARE LISTED IN THE ORDER OF APPEARANCE, not based on importance (so this way, we will not spoil who the male lead is…hehe). This list will be updated every time a new name appears or when more information is revealed about the old characters, so come back to this page and check often~ Have fun reading^_^*
江湖路弯弯 Jiang Hu Road is Curved-Character List
- ★Pang Wan 庞弯★：the female lead of the novel; Sheng Gu of Bai Yue Sect. Still maintaining memories of her previous life on the land of Mary Sue, Pang Wan still thinks her current life will continue to go Mary Sue…but she will eventually learn how to face the reality…
Surname: 庞(Páng) – means enormous
Given name: 弯(wān) – curvy
-弯弯 (wān wān): It is common in Chinese for people to make nicknames by repeating a character in someone’s name to show intimacy. 弯弯 also happens to mean curved; thus referring back to the title of the novel 《江湖路弯弯》 (Jiang Hu Road is Curved).
-圣姑 (Shèng Gū): “Holy Lady” is how sect members and other people address her position. Sheng Gu exists as an important representation of the sect, serving both as a leader and a mascot.
-师妹 (Shī mèi): female underclassmen/ junior sister. Sometimes Nan Yi calls Pang Wan Shi Mei, which means a girl who entered the same sect or same school later than he did. Now, people usually adress underclassmen as 学妹(girls) or 学弟(boys).
*chapter 4:庞(Páng)弯弯 sounds like 胖(Pàng)弯弯, which means fat and curvy.
2. Rong Gu-Gu 容姑姑： caretaker of Pang Wan; one of the 12 most skilled masters of Bai Yue.
容(Róng) is her name (unsure of surname or given name)
姑姑(Gūgū) is not her name but a intimate title that Pang Wan calls her, which means aunt or elder women from the same sect.
– 容姑(Róng Gū): with only one Gu, this is a formal title that Lord You uses to address her, more like “Ms. Rong”.
-容儿(Róng Er): Adding an “Er” at the end of a name also makes an intimate nickname. She calls herself this. People from the same generation who are close to her can also use this nickname.
3. ★Zuo Nan Yi 左南夷★：Young master and successor of Bai Yue Sect
Surname: 左(Zuǒ) – left
Given name: 南(nán)- south; 夷(yí)- endless, expansive, exterminate, barbarian
– 南夷哥(nán yí gē): “older brother Nan Yi” is what Pang Wan calls him. In Chinese culture, people do not have to be related to call each other brothers and sisters. In this case, Pang Wan calls him older brother because of respect.
– 少主(shào zhǔ): Young master; a title used by all the sect members to call him.
– 师哥(Shī gē): male upperclassmen/senior brother. Used by Pang Wan.
*chapter 3: 南夷(nán yí) sounds similar to 男一(nán yī), which is short for first male or male lead. So Pang Wan expected him to be her first male lead.
4. Zuo Huai An 左淮安：Sect leader of Bai Yue.
Surname: 左(Zuǒ) – left
Given name:淮安 (Huái ān) is the name of a city in JiangSu province.
5. Lord You 右使/ Shi Jue Ming 石决明：second-in-command of Bai Yue Sect
You means the direction right. Being “right” to a leader means he is second-in-command. 石决明 happens to mean a kind of special shells that is often used for Chinese medical purposes.
6. Lu Wei 路威：one of the 12 guards of Nan Yi
Surname: 路(Lù) – road
Given name: 威(wēi) – prestige; power; dangerous
7. Mei Wu 眉妩：fiancée of Nan Yi; saved him after he fell off a cliff.
Surname: 眉 (Méi) – brow
Given name: 妩(wǔ) – charming; to flatter
– 阿妩 (Ā wǔ): Nan Yi calls Mei Wu this. Adding an “Ā” in front of one character in a person’s name is another way of making an intimate nickname.
*chapter 4:if you flip 眉妩 (Méi wǔ), it sounds like 妩媚 (Wǔ mèi), which means charming and lovely.
8. ★Gu Xi Ju 顾溪居★：Supreme Chief of Wu Lin; Pang Wan’s real world training target
Surname: 顾(Gù) – looking; taking care of
Given name: 溪(xī) – brook， creek; 居(jū) – reside; house
Everyone calls him 盟主(Méng Zhǔ), which means supreme chief.
9. Meng Hai Tang 孟海棠: The lady mentioned in ch.6 in the storytelling about Soliary Palace Master
Surname: 孟(Mèng) – eldest, impetuous
Given name: 海棠(hǎitáng) – begonia flower
10. ★Sang Chan 桑婵★：Extremely beautiful, holy lady of Wu Lin. Pang Wan’s idol.
Surname: 桑(Sāng) – mulberry
Given name: 婵(chán) – beautiful and graceful; moon
– Fairy/仙子(Xiān Zǐ): everyone calls her this because she is beautiful and holy.
11. Wang Gang 王刚：storyteller; servant to Pang Wan
Surname: 王(Wáng) – King
Given name: 刚 (gāng) – strong, firm; barely
The author probably purposely picked this name because it is one of the most commonly used(cliche) names in China. There are approximately 160 thousands people named Wang Gang according to http://zhaoren.idtag.cn.
12. Bai Xiao Sheng 百晓生：advisor to Gu Xi Ju; Skilled in Qing Gong or Light Body Skill.
Bai Xiao Sheng is not his name but a nickname. This nickname is a reference to the Bai Xiao Sheng in Gu Long’s famous WuXia novel The Sentimental Swordman, who created a book ranking weapons and masters based on their kung fu skills. This advisor is nicknamed Bai Xiao Sheng, because he is also like the one in The Sentimental Swordman, wise and knowledgeable.
13. Zhang Xiu Zhu 张修竹：a master of the Wu Dang clan
Given name: 修(xiū)-fix, embellish, study; 竹(zhú)-bamboo
14. ★He Qing Lu 贺青芦★ : a noble gentleman with strange interests, currently of unknown background.
Surname: 贺 (Hè) – a celebratory term, to congratulate
Given name: 青 (Qīng) – green (can also refer to the colour blue); 芦 (Lú) – reed
If you have any questions, let us know~~